Saturday, December 10, 2011

Our Santa Issues this Year

I'm happy to say that this year, one task has been done for me. For the last several years, these weeks rolling into Christmas elicited a blog post or two or three from us regarding the issue of Santa. But, this year, this blog has so eloquently written on the subject, that I will let her speak to her journey with the fat man in red.

The one thing I will say is that our resolve to not recognize Santa gets stronger and stronger each year we live overseas. An English teacher friend of ours was reading the TRUE Christmas story to her class. They went through the whole thing from beginning to end. At the conclusion of the story, several of her students raised their hands and said "This is a great story, but what does it have to do with Christmas?"

America has exported Santa and it has COMPLETELY overtaken the holiday here. It's like me telling you that Thanksgiving is really about celebrating extraterrestrials. We would look at me with a furrowed brow and utter confusion.

That's all. I won't rant, I just plead with you to read that blog post.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...