Tuesday, May 01, 2012

It's Only 5 Children...Seriously

We have 5 children. We do not have 83 children.

There are lots of things that also come in fives and yet people do not seem to be freaking out and saying ridiculous things about fingers, Olympic rings, vowels, or the Jacksons.


Yet, people don't walk around, furrowed brow, looking like they just ate a solid cube of mayonaise when talking about any of these things that come in fives. And it's not just here in China, we got this in America too." I cannot believe you have 5 kids." Or "Are you like the Duggars?" Yes, we are just like the Duggars, minus 15 children and a uterus that is going to need to be stapled. I have a ton of respect for that family, but my goodness, we are no where near that volume of children.




For some reason big families trip people out. And I honestly don't understand people's consternation with others who decide to have big families. I am not asking them to come over in pity and do my laundry. I know how we got to this point and as a matter of fact, it took a ton of intentionality for #5 to enter our family through adoption. Adoptions don't just happen by accident.

I know so many large families that love the Lord and are obedient citizens. They aren't contributing to global warming any more than someone's soccer-mom-Hummer. And most of them aren't draining the welfare system in a  Grape Nut like fashion.

It wasn't that long ago that families were large because of the world running mostly through agriculture. Children are a blessing. The day they become a burden is the same day that big families become obnoxious I guess. I don't understand that, but I think that is what's going on. As we were winding down our dance party tonight, I remember thinking, "I love the chaos that comes with big families. I love the laughter, the love, the stories, the bathroom jokes."

I wouldn't trade this for the world.

I would love to hear how other bigger families respond when people say totally awkward things to them. I'm sure they are much more loving than the ones I've come up with. If you see a large family, don't tell them they have their hands full. They know that. Trust me. And please don't mention all the con's you can think of when having a big family. Because there are also a lot of pro's and we have other things to do besides correcting people's opinions of big families. Like laundry. Lots and lots of laundry.

If you haven't seen this, take a look. There is nothing hypothetical about this scenario. People actually say these things.














Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...