Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Creative Journaling


I wanted to share a way that I get through the mundane walls of journaling. In my mind, all the writing prompts will spur my children onto Maya Angelou level of prose. For now, I'm just trying to get my son to delete the word "poop" and every other unmentionable body part from his writing. Baby steps. Very small baby steps. I had exhausted all the writing prompts my pion brain could muster up. I had also borrowed every prompt I could find appropriate from the world wide web. 

When we were in the States last year, I picked up these from Dover Books:





These babies have revolutionized our journaling time. I want my kids to write everyday. This writing will not be corrected for grammar or handwriting. I only remind them that every form of the word "rear end" or "passing gas" may not be included. Besides that, the world's their oyster. Each day they will either draw a picture or write a short story to go along with the picture. I have some other journaling activities that we do, but this is by far my children's favorite. Each book has a theme. The one my kid's are doing now is called "Things that Go." Each page with have a prompt. The one my daughter did on the right starts like this:

"Mrs. Morgan is about to enter her house. People say it is haunted. Draw what you think it looks like."



They have lots of different theme like creepy creatures, animals, fantasy, etc. 

I would love to hear from others on how they make daily journaling interesting. And if you want to include your favorite synonym for "passing gas," I will promise to pass them along to my boys. You will forever be their favorite person in the entire world. 








Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...