Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Drinking sodas and making friends (1)


            For the past 2 weeks I have been at an orphanage, translating to the point where I am jumping gladly, climbing like a tired dog into bed. And teaching a class of 5-8year olds  with  4 boys and a girl. ( all parents of 1 or more boys, sympathize with me.) 

I got to spend those 2 weeks with godly and awesome people. All through the weeks, there were plenty of times to complain. but no complaints were heard from their mouths. I got to room with a home schooled high schooler who is one of six children. We would turn the light off at night and talk till midnight. We would say "good night" then " oh, one more thing" over and over till we were too tired to say anymore. 







Above are some of my chinese buddies at camp. When the adults\me weren't having a meeting and\ or weren't teaching, us girls were together.  These pictures are from the graduation performance of  the "cotton-eyed joe", "hokey pokey" and ...um...... "hoedown throw down" by Miley Cyrus. ( doing that dance was a new thing for the older people. ) But I have to say, doing the hokey pokey with a skirt on can be...... challenging at times.    




Anyway, My class that night did "head shoulders knees and toes" and did a great job! There were ups and downs the whole week, like having sprite, coke and pepsi every day, three meals a day (well,at least I had artificial energy! Better than none!), also getting beat in pingpong, playing (here's the catch)  "beach ball volleyball, in the dark, in the park.... and hanging out with my new buddy; sarcasm........







Mom, why did I wear a skirt again?




Trying to corral 50+ kids to get into a line to dance. bad idea.





 My students "singing."




Smiles because I was leading and did the wrong move. oopsie.

The whole gang came to graduation and we figured that I would just go home with them that night. But the director  came up to us and said " can......" OHHHH I'll save that for the next post.:) 

                                                    TO BE CONTINUED.......

                                          Selah 



8 comments:

  1. Casey&Kim4:34 PM

    Selah! It was so much fun to read your post about your time teaching English and translating. You are an amazingly talented writer, Ms. Selah! We will be waiting very anxiously for the next installment in your "saga"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selah, you have grown tremendously physically, mentally, and most importantly spiritually! To read of how you are glorifying God with your life and talents is phenomenal! I am blessed to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa8:35 PM

    Very cool, Selah!! You are so brave to go to camp and be a teacher at your age. God will surely continue to use you and the gifts he has given you. Can't wait to read more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selah, I can't wait to read your next post! What a treat it is to hear/read about that you got to be a part of. What a great God we serve!!!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all soo much. This is what I got to wake up to. It is a blessing to be around or chat with people like you guys!!

    Thanks---
    Selah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selah! Loved your smiles and joy in the sometimes arduous task of teaching. Wished I could have been in the class.I,...and the Cotton-Eyed Joe and many other line dances have never seemed to get along well.Yet, I still pursue their friendship and favor. Much better with "Head and shoulders..." - the dance and the shampoo.Great post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selah! Loved your smiles and joy in a somewhat arduous task of teaching.I always pursued those line dances, but it seems we always ended up going in the wrong direction from each other. Wish I was in your class.I'm ok with
    "Head and Shoulders"- the routine and the shampoo. Good post Selah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Selah, my heart was so happy after reading your post! Our soon-to-be daughter is Chinese (from Shanghai). She is 9 now and attended one of these types of camps when she was 7 or 8. The smile on her face in the photos and videos from camp told me she enjoyed it very much when she was there, just like the smiles on these kiddos faces when they were with you. Thank you so much Selah. What you are doing is just fantastic. God surely is very proud of you, and that's what matters. :-) Xie xie. --Laura

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...