Monday, July 25, 2011

Thai Basil and Pork and the Inferior Coordination of White People

All these recipes in a row and I'm gonna have you all fooled that I can actually function properly in the kitchen.  I usually just steal recipes and change a thing or two.  I'm growing a few herbs, which I'm actually failing quite miserably at.  Creatures from every genus and species have taken up residence in my little herb garden.  I didn't think Chinese bugs would have a taste for basil, but it looks as if their palate has evolved considerably.  



This recipe is actually for spring rolls.  I tried making this inside spring rolls and I will tell you that I think Asian people have better hand/eye coordination than us white people.  Their dexterity with small things like ping pong and spring rolls baffles my mind.  The wrappers were soggy and fell apart, so we dissected them and ate the insides.  Now I forsake the spring rolls so that my delicate self esteem can remain remotely intake while I live among such a coordinated population.

I also double and sometimes triple this recipe.  It's great with rice or even a fried noodle dish. 

  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
  • 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon chile sauce (you can even leave this out if you aren't a fan of spice)
  • Top with fresh basil (arguably my favorite part of the dish)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...