Thursday, April 15, 2010

Art in the Church

Honestly, I'm not even sure who I am writing this post for. Maybe it's to clear my head of the stories that I've read tonight. Maybe it's to check myself and make sure that I am putting first things first. I also feel like this post could dribble on for pages. I'll try and save you all from that.

The deal is the purpose of art in the Christian body. I won't go on a long diatribe as to all the ways art can both benefit and hurt the name of Christ. But I will say that I am frustrated at something. A majority of the friends that we love and hold very dearly to us are artists of some type. Photographers, painters, musicians, song writers, etc. We love them....dearly. But, I'm noticing a trend that is happening by artists that also claim to be Christians. There seems to be a value placed on the art being "honest, organic, authentic, raw...." And it seems that those things are being held above the idea of that artist striving for holiness. I am all about authenticity. But I also see that there are times when I am "just being honest" that I am also just being sinful. Yet, I justify my sin because you know I'm "just being honest" in my expression.

I've read Christian music lyrics that never mention God, Jesus, or anything close. Art shouldn't be the thing being worshipped above Christ. There's this strive to become so "relevant", that we've forgotten that Christ also desires for us to be set apart and holy. That doesn't mean arrogant. But it does mean that we need to filter our 'honesty' and be slow to speak and slow to produce artwork that would distract people from knowing who Christ really is.

I have a lot more to say about this, but it's late and I need to go to bed or drink caffiene. My voice of reason is telling me to go to bed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...