Saturday, August 04, 2012

Going to Camp in the City

This daughter of mine will leave tomorrow for 9 days. She is going to camp for the first time. I've been giving her my motherly boy scout advice for the past week. At pretty much every meal. And any time she isn't sleeping.





1. Don't go anywhere with a boy. They are all evil. 

2. You are going to have to wash your clothes. I'm not sure how because there are no washers or dryers. At the very least, turn your underwear inside out every 2 days. 

3. Don't allow yourself to be the first one asleep. Mean girls will do things like put toothpaste in your mouth and stick your hand in warm water to make you pee your pants. Don't ask me how I know these things. Just resist the force to fall asleep early. 




4. Do not teach the American volunteers phrases like, "My girlfriend looks like a fattened calf." in Chinese. Funny, but not nice. 

5. If you laugh so hard that you pee your pants a little, head to the water station and "accidentally" spill water on yourself. 


I think this is freaking me out mostly because my camp experience involved the forest, smores, a cabin full of prepubescent screaming over New Kids on the Block, wearing bright green zinc, and getting in canoe fights with the boys. My sweet girl will be attending camp:

in a city of 6 million

in China

at an orphanage

translating for an American volunteer team

teaching English to 8-9 year olds

There will be no snack bars, tater tots, or swaying back and forth to "Friends are Friends Forever" at the end of the week. I am treading new territory again. I am trusting the Lord to take care of my girl. I am excited (albeit a bit psychotic) about the whole thing. I'll let you know how it goes by the end of the week. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...