Saturday, May 22, 2010

Star Studded Line-Up

There are times when you know that an event is blog-worthy, so you bring your camera and you think up witty one-liners as the event is happening. This afternoon was one such occasion. Chinese love to put on performances. There doesn't really need to be a holiday or celebration, just perform. And do it with vigor.


This little doozy of a performance happened right in our apartment complex this afternoon. This guy kicked things off with a riveting song and dance routine. At one point he leapt off the stage and danced around and then sang to an empty car. With about 63 people in the audience. But to him, it was a sold out concert in Central Park. In my opinion, that made it even funnier to watch.





Next up was this adorable grandma-soldier-wonder woman routine. She marched around and shot an air gun...many, many times. I have to admit, I was brainstorming all the things I could do with these Wonder Woman leggings. Those would sure add some pep to my home schooling routine.






When an older lady performs, usually it's her personal rendition of Beijing Opera. I know that this is a cultural gem here, but honestly it sounds like cats in heat. And at least the cats have some potential good that could come from being in heat. There is no such possible good in hearing Beijing Opera. But the older people in the audience were on the brink of lighting their lighters, swaying back and forth and singing "Free Bird".



The entertainment only got better when I saw who was up next. This guy started by gliding his feet in a familiar fashion. Within the first 10 seconds, I realized that he must have watched Michael Jackson's "Bad" about 183 times in order to memorize not only the moves but also the facial expressions. When I say that his performance made me happy, that is a gross understatement. I looked and looked around for my only American friend that lives near us and she was not to be found. I desperately needed someone to experience this with me.





But alas, I was alone, laughing so hard I was crying. I love Selah's expression in this picture above. Just sums it up nicely. And to top it off, the wind was blowing, so this guys white over shirt was blowing, just like Michael's did. It was pure delight. This picture below was when he was running almost in place...fast. I think he stole this move from 'Footloose.' I couldn't blame the guy...it's a classic move.




As a sidenote, I just re-lived this routine while I was writing. I now have cramps and tears dripping down my face. This routine with be my new "happy place" for the week.





As he ended his song, he rushed to the front of the stage and reached out to grab some of his adoring fan's hands.

Happy place. Happy, happy place.





Makaria got to pose with yoga lady. She was impressed with neither the lunge nor the silver sequin leggings. This lady is super sweet.





Then it was the Europeans turn. That's how they announced my kids as they came to entertain the masses. Did they practice...no. Did they have music....no. But did they have heart....YES! So the DJ put on some Chinese hip-hop. (Which, for the record I really like)








Here they are, dancing and flipping and looking cute as ever up there. I love that our kids don't mind dancing and singing and having fun up on stage.



And when my kids perform, they perform. Malachi pulled out his favorite move..."the Triple Whip". You can see him in mid air in this picture below. It involves a massive wind-up, a jump, a turn in the air and usually a landing on all fours and sometimes a face plant. It's awesome.





Whenever I hear music in our area, I always rush the kids to go and watch. I love the performances here. The make-up, the drama, the suspense and the spontaneity. Entertainment just doesn't get better than this.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...