Saturday, April 15, 2006

Christian Hedonism quote

John Piper coined this term to refer to the fact that God created us to glutton in pleasure, yet the greatest well of pleasure is Himself. In When I Don't Desire God, Piper quotes one of the best illustrations I've seen to entice us to such a life:

"It’s as old as the Puritans, like Thomas Watson, who wrote in 1692 that God counts himself more glorified when we find more happiness in his salvation:

'Would it not be an encouragement to a subject, to hear his prince say
to him, You will honor and please me very much, if you will go to
yonder mine of gold, and dig as much gold for yourself as you can
carry away? So, for God to say, Go to the ordinances, get as much
grace as you can, dig out as much salvation as you can; and the more
happiness you have, the more I shall count myself glorified.' " (p. 16-17)

See When I Don't Desire GOD
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...