Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mexican food and my internet friend


I realize that this picture makes it look like we went bar hopping all night, but this is all I could get with my phone balancing on an half empty glass of water.  This is my friend, Michelle.  We were actually only internet friends until last night.  But, the thing that had bound us together was life in China with a large family....and a few of them are black.  She and her family went through the adoption process around the same time we did.  They brought home two sweet kids that we will get to meet when we invade their city again next week.  

We went to a Mexican food place last night because, well, a woman's got needs.  Chips and salsa might make my food pyramid a little wobbly, but it adds skip to my step.  As I walked there, I felt so nervous.  I had these anxieties as if I were headed to a blind date.  I found my stomach in knots, thinking "Will she like me?  What if we run out of things to talk about?  What if I offend her in the first 2 minutes and she crawls into the bathroom stall to look for a quick exit out the air vent?"  

But it went great!  I We scarfed down the chips and I cleaned my plate like it was the last edible thing on the planet.  We chatted about life in China with a big family and adoption issues and stupid things people say to us on a daily basis. We sat behind a noisy group of men downing margaritas when it donned on me that we two women represented 9 children.  She is one of only a handful of people on this earth that can fully understand our lives.  It was wonderful. 

I can't wait for the rest of my family to meet them next week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...