Tuesday, September 02, 2008

My walk from the bus stop


Ok, this will be the last “Selah is off to school” post. This is my therapy. Carrie got her chance. Now mine.


Today, I took her to the school bus stop for her first time. The lump in my throat reminded me how certain stages in life pass, never to be recovered again. I will never get to walk her to her school again, enjoying her conversation, as I now do the middle two kids. The human mind has a tragic habit: it assumes the present will always be. If we are facing something bad, we despair too much. If something is good, we can easily take it for granted. This applies to spiritual and character issues, or to normal life cycle type things. I wish I could have ridden the school bus with her to school. But I can’t.


One of my biggest fears as a dad is that someday I will look back on so many regrets and it will be unbearable. Some regrets are unavoidable, but I do hope to minimize them. I thought about the fact recently that young people tend to be career minded when they have less time for it because their kids are home; however, older people have learned life lessons and long for time again with their kids, though they now have all the time in the world for their careers. I’m praying that I would be like the man whom Solomon describes in Ecclesiastes 5:20, “For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.”


I love you Selah.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...